Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Leigh Collection.

 

                       Big Sky        4x5'        thrown and splattered paint on canvas        2022



More overthrow on an existing painting. Sometimes, paintings just want more. I try to place my paintings in our house for awhile, live with them if I can. I get a better feel for what they are saying, and what I want them to say. When that happens, I frequently will add more throws and splashes, sometimes just a few enhancements, at other times, the painting will be completely changed. 

In this instance, we can still sit and feel the big sky, but now instead of a sleepy afternoon, the sky is reflecting action. There was a storm, there's an upcoming storm... we don't know, but it's definitely more indicative of action. The plants too have changed a bit. Though the original are there, I threw some dark reeds and seeds on top, using a stick . It indicates viewing an object with the sun behind or low on the horizon, highlighting the background and darkening the foreground. The reeds are a bit more bent as well, again depicting movement and the air above them is alive with anticipation. 


sold