Thursday, May 16, 2019

Beverly Hills ArtShow May 18th/19th Beverly Garden Park

Southern California Super Bloom 24x48" thrown and splattered paint on canvas 2019
Beverly Hills ArtShow May 18th/19th  booth #413
The bloom was so spectacular this last spring, it was tempting to paint numerous times, and I did. This painting captures the poppies as well as the lupine and the snow capped mountains. Being a larger canvas, allowed me to give this painting more depth as the lupine recede into the distance. What appears fairly straightforward, isn't however. This painting probably has 10 or more layers. All the paintings have a number of layers but this was excessive as I nuanced the colors of the wildflowers to give depth and reality. My goal is to achieve the essence of the subject, not photo realism. At times, perfectionism can dwarf the objective of impressionism and the chaos of the technique, I try to retain.