Monday, June 1, 2015

The Gallery at The Brooks Art Walk

Featured Artist at, The Gallery at The Brooks, in Oceanside, June 5, 6-9pm. Oceanside's First Friday Art Walk is every first Friday of the month.
          Tree's Triptych (all three are on exhibit) 8x4.5' solid core doors with hardware

The doors are my original works in in the gestural style, thrown and splattered paint. I was attempting to discover what Pollock was trying to express using this technique. I still have no idea Pollock's reasoning but after spending a solid week working on these doors from sun up to sun set, I was hooked. What appeared simple, was terribly difficult; many times these were 'hosed' down because they weren't 'right', though I couldn't possible express what that meant. I believe it is a subconscious view that determines 'right'.  The Doors are the first paintings of this style, today I am more of an impressionist than an abstructionist but I remember to come back to these when I find I am working far too close to realism. It is the essence, not the image, I try to capture. These doors are a perfect example of that.